Bitesized Blighty: December 21, 2018
- Your Thanksgiving got hit by snowstorms, and now our Christmas is getting hit by drones. 110,000 passengers on 760 flights were grounded yesterday at London’s Gatwick airport while drones flew in and out of the area. The military has been called in, the Prime Minister’s spoken out about it, and passengers are being told today not to go to the airport before checking their flight’s status. This is what you get for telling 14-year-old boys to go play outside.
- The US and UK have accused hackers linked to the Chinese government of waging a sustained cyber-campaign focused on large-scale theft of commercial intellectual property. The countries have accused Chinese hackers of obtaining unauthorised access to the systems of at least 45 entities, including commercial, defence and tech companies, including NASA and the US Navy.
- The voting age should be lowered to 6-years-old and free pets should be distributed to boost mental health, according to a panel of British children asked for their political demands. One particularly fiery exchange occurred between Orell and Freddie:
- Orell: I think we should get free vegetables and fruit to help children be healthy. I think they should ban crisps because they have lots of salt in them and they are not healthy.
- Freddie: We should get free sweets because they are yummy and will make us happy.
- Unsurprisingly, the level of debate was at a higher standard than that of UK Parliament this week.