Let’s Give Back to all the Mothers in Our Lives
Mother’s Day is this Sunday, and year after year, we have the opportunity to celebrate, honor and appreciate both the mothers in our lives, as well as the influence that motherhood and maternal bonds play within society. Did you know that the origins of Mother’s Day, as celebrated in the U.S., dates back to the 19th century? In the years before the Civil War, “Mother’s Day Work Clubs” were started to teach women how to care for children. In 1914, Mother’s Day became an official U.S. holiday.
To celebrate all mothers, we have complied a list of things you can do for a mother in your life, as well as ways to benefit all of the mothers in your community.
For the mother in your life:
- Take chores off her everyday list such as laundry, cleaning or making breakfast in the morning. These are simple acts we know she will appreciate!
- Book her a surprise treat, such as a spa service, movie or concert tickets, or home-cooked dinner.
- Write her a hand-written note to show her how much you appreciate all she does for you and your family.
- Purchase a gift for her that ultimately benefits and ‘gives back’ to the community. Check out this New York Magazine piece which outlines gifts to purchase for mom this year that give back to a number of causes and organizations. Examples include an apron where a portion of the proceeds will benefit the National Museum of Women in the Arts or a candle where a percentage of proceeds will be donated to Los Angeles’s Downtown Women’s Center.
For the mothers within your community:
- Donate non-perishables to a local food shelter or an organization such as Feeding America. Feeding America and its member food banks work for mothers across the country. By donating to the organization, you are not only providing meals, but hope for families who might be struggling.
- Donate baby items to mothers in need. Mothers’ Helpers is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping new moms who need essential baby items to care for their newborns. They also accept monetary donations to purchase and donate non-reusable baby items. Gifts help bring peace of mind to mothers with newborns who find themselves alone or are in a fragile financial circumstance.
- Donate money to an organization that helps mothers safely deliver and care for their babies. Every Mother Counts was started from the recognition that not all childbearing people enjoy the same access and privilege when it comes to maternity care. The organization invests in organizations working to improve access to quality, respectful and equitable maternity care around the world. Donations can also help provide new moms in need with diapers and groceries, moms-to-be with midwife or doula support and more.
We hope you’ll take time out this year to honor and appreciate everything that mothers do for us!