Do You Have What It Takes
A few questions for those of you who are interested in working for us:
- Do you want to be a member of the team? Can you take on tasks and run with them?
- Do you consider yourself creative and entrepreneurial? Do you like taking calculated risks?
- Do you enjoy life outside of the office? Working here, you won’t be stuck in the office until midnight. We have demanding clients, but recognize that if you don’t have a solid work-life balance, you won’t be at your best as an employee or a person.
- Do you have a thick skin? We work in close quarters. Many of us are a little quirky. This does not make us bad people. But it does mean you need to be flexible and roll with the punches (and the bad jokes).
- Can you meet, greet and impress? You will be expected to interact with clients and offer erudite commentary on their business. There is a limited learning curve, and we would like you to hit the ground running. Don’t worry, though. We have a very robust professional development program.
If you’re still reading, here are the skills we’re looking for:
- Someone with work experience. Public relations or media experience is mandatory; diversified experience will win you additional points from our judges. Expectations for interns are somewhat different, of course.
- Someone who is not afraid to pick up the phone and convince a reporter that our clients are better than their competition
- Someone who is quick on their feet, unafraid of hard work and wants to reap the rewards of the same.
- Someone who enjoys expressing their opinion inside and outside of the firm (we love our team-bloggers!)
- Someone who challenges popular opinion and will not be afraid to tell their colleagues when they think they are wrong. We’re smart, but not infallible.
- Most important, someone who wants to work in an environment where success is rewarded, where risk taking is encouraged and where we recognize that if you’re going to spend 40-60 hours a week with us, we’d better make it worth your while
Other points to ponder:
- Are you a good writer? Samples would be nice.
- Do you devour the news? The Star does not count.
- Are you intellectually curious?
- Are you organized? Time management is key around here.
- Are you fearless in the face of adversity? Or at least on new business presentations?
- Do you like what you do? No whiners please. We have an office linebacker.